MidSouthCon 2017 continues! If you missed the previous post, here’s a link: Day 1.
My first stop on day 2 was my first game of Savage Rifts. As I mentioned last year, I backed this Savage Worlds edition of Rifts on Kickstarter, and read the books as soon as they arrived at my house–but this was my first opportunity to play.
Escape the Room
Feng Shui 2
- flying kick to the face (success!)
- somersault toward a mook ending in splits at his feet to deliver a punch to the crotch (fail!)
- sweep the legs since I couldn’t reach the crotch (fail!)
- drown a mook in the punch bowl (fail!)
- throw a mook into the groom’s cake (fail!)
- whip cupcakes at a mook to soften him up for a flying kick into the buffet (fail!)
- bash a new target with a serving platter (success so solid it took out a second mook!)
|Feng Shui 2’s action tracker|
In the end, this session was OK-but-not-great, though I may save the details for a post about that topic later. The Feng Shui 2 system, though, I really like.
I hesitate to call mine a costume, since it’s only made of a few parts and a prop, but this year I accessorized my new ultra-long Doctor Who scarf with some other wardrobe elements to represent the 4th Doctor.
|TARDIS provided by a skilled builder at the con|
Here were my favorite costume-related moments from the con:
- An older lady gave me a heartfelt “Thank you!” (I assume she meant for representing the classic series, but it’s possible she just appreciated me moving out of her way.)
- A young man simply nodded and said, “Doctor.”
- Someone said, “I’ve always wanted a scarf like that. I just never made the time to make one.” (I wasn’t sure how to answer that one. Neither have I? Also, he never actually complimented mine, so…)
- A vendor excitedly told me about his favorite Doctor (#7)
- And, my favorite: a young girl passing me simply said “Nice.”
During my Time Lord adventures at the con, I also met one of my future selves, #8…
…and even ran into my mirror image!
|This fellow was devastated that he’d forgotten
his wig and scarf, but he still looked amazing!
Here are some other costumes I liked (and got close enough to capture)…
|So happy I found a Ghostbuster!|
As an admitted dice addict, I must confess to purchasing a set of dice within half an hour of entering the dealer’s room. Much later, between games, I bought the Doctor Who 10th Doctor Sourcebook (adding him to my other favorite Doctors, #4 and #1) and a Gloom Expansion (in honor of Keith Baker).
Here’s my favorite vendor. (Also, not coincidentally, the only one selling roleplaying games.)